Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I'm safely back home, writing from the desk of my room. Just 24 hours ago, I was still roaming around the streets of Siam. And it all now comes to a sweet memory. A birthday gift that I would never cease to forget.
There were a few notable things that had happened, and made me realised that life isn't just beautiful but worth the living. Pity those who just cut thier lives short knowing that life for them isn't worthy. Maybe because they have not heard of Air Asia, Now Everyone Can Fly. To fly them to a place where they can appreciate their life.
So I wasn't really celebrating myself, but discovering a different world and the different culture. The nice thing was that I took this trip the backpacker way, and I met a few interesting people along the way. Made friends with 2 dorm mates on my last two evenings, one whom was gay guy from West Jakarta and the other a conservative English young man. The Indonesian guy was in his late 40's and was story telling of Bangkok and it's lifestyle as though he was the chosen ambassador. I think it was his millionth trip to Bangkok. Nevertheless, he guided me through the streets of Silom especially the Boystown.
I also made friends with a Thai man whom I met from Babylon. Apparently he lied his aged when we first made conversation, and with the dim light of the sauna it worked for him. The next day we met again at Mania Sauna, the place he suggested for me to visit as it was walking distance from the guesthouse. I knew he was coming as the night before, we parted unofficially as he was busy watching the go-go show while I was rushing back to get ready for clubbing.
Thai man are nice, easy going and simply friendly. Maybe because I was young, and had this different feature so it lured them to be nice to me. I was confident that I would be getting some dirty hands into my pants, but amazingly I wasn't in the mood of getting dirty. Maybe because I was physically tired form all the tourist walk I made the the day before. But whatever it is, it was certainly a pleasing encounter.
My last evening in Silom, the Thai man from Babylon, aka Tawatchai aka Tom, bought me dinner. At first we planned to go for a drink at the bar and watch one of the shows, but I reluctant to as I wasn't in the mood. Secondly, I was nearly drained. So dinner was another option. No wonder he was insisting to do something with me, because he wanted to treat me for the birthday. The evening at Babylon, he was teased by his two other friends for not treating me and perhaps he wanted to be the nice gentleman.
Tom is a nice friend, and we chated our away during the South Thai cuisine we had on Soi 1, Convent Rd. From Thai politics, to the current economic situation and some other cultural exchange we talked like nobody business. I asked some personal questions, and apparently he has a gig. A gig is someone who is more than a friend but less than a boyfriend. I told him is it something like a fuck buddy, he said no. In return, I told him I too have a boyfriend but my boyfriend has a gig.
We laughed!
I slept early the Sunday night. Counting my hours as I touchdown on home soil again.

No comments: